About the club
History of Pelicans
Hockey in the King's Lynn area had been played on a friendly basis from the early years in the 1900s. There were several clubs in the town: South Lynn, Achilles, Gaywood and Wootton and men's, ladies and mixed sides were running on an occasional basis from 1918 to the end of the 1930s. Heacham, Clenchwarton, Terrington, Stoke Ferry and Downham Market all had teams and reports all suggest that games were hard fought!
King Edward VII School played hockey in the early years and in 1920 discussions took place between some of the staff and local businessmen about forming a Men's club. On 16th December 1920 the inaugural meeting of Pelicans Hockey Club was held. The club's close links with KES has remained throughout the years with several pupils being taught hockey at school by staff who were members of Pelicans and then progressing into the club itself. This is still true of today.
The Pelicans Hockey Club that was founded from this meeting in December 1920 took their name from the Pelican that surmounts the King's Lynn town crest tearing its breast. This alludes to the myth that Pelicans feed their young (a Squab) on their own blood! Regrettably, this macabre action is often practised nowadays on the all weather pitch and in the club bar!
They played on a series of different home grounds, and moved to North Runcton in 1945-46. Originally a mixed club, the women's section was discontinued when the club reformed after the Second World War. The club was suspended for these years (1939-45) during which time the clubroom was wrecked and the ground was lost.
The club was based at North Runcton for over 50 years until moving to LynnSport in 1996.
In 2016 and following a successful fundraising compaign, the club completed development of two new hockey pitches which are argusbly the best pitches in the county if not further.
We are very proud of our history and excited for the future of hockey at Pelicans Hockey Club.